Guide: Buy to let mortgage documents.

Like all good Scouts and Brownies, we like to be prepared. That’s why we’ve prepared this handy guide so you have all the information and documents you need before applying for a buy to let mortgage.

What documents do I need for my buy to let mortgage?

Lenders want to know all manner of stuff about you and your finances before they give you a mortgage. To speed up the process, and keep things running smoothly, it’s useful to get all your ducks in a row. Send all the relevant documentation to your Dupree & Co mortgage adviser as soon as you can. We can then store it safely away until we need to send what’s required to your lender.

The documents you need are split into five categories:

  1. Identification
  2. Proof of income
  3. Regular expenditure
  4. Deposit
  5. Information on your current properties


Proof of name – this should be a valid driving licence or passport. Please make sure these are in date and feature your correct current address.

Proof of address – you’ll need to supply one of the following: a valid driving license (only if not used for proof of name), a utility bill dated within the last 3 months (not mobile phone)*, bank statement dated within the last 3 months*, a mortgage statement, current local authority tax bill, or a house or motor insurance certificate.

We’ll carry out electronic verification of your identity to support the information provided. If this fails, we’ll require sight of original or certified documents.

* Note: statements or bills printed off the internet cannot be used.

Proof of income

Evidence of your income and how much you spend each month is required to assess your affordability for a mortgage.

Employed – you’ll need to supply proof of your income in the form of your last 3 months’ wage slips (or 13 weeks if you’re paid weekly) and you P60.

Self employed – proof of income, including 3 years’ accounts or latest 3 years’ SA302s with tax overview. Contractors need to supply their last 12 months’ contracts.

Tax Credits – you’ll need to supply the tax credit award letter, if received.

Child Benefit – you’ll need to supply the child benefit award letter, if received.

Other benefits – depending on the benefit, you’ll need to supply the award letter and 3 months of statements.

Child maintenance – at least 3 months’ bank statements. Some lenders also need to see the Child Maintenance Scheme award or court order as well.

Regular expenditure

Lenders will want an oversight of your regular monthly outgoings and expenditure, to assess your risk.

Bank statements – most recent 3 months’ current account statements for each mortgage applicant. These should either be original documents or pdf downloads from your internet banking – screenshots are not acceptable. They need to show your name and account number.


You don’t need a proof of deposit if you’re deposit is 100% equity from the sale of a property, but if it’s not, you will need proof.

Bank statements – showing the full value of your deposit. If you have saved over a period of time for the deposit, you’ll need to show the statements for that period. If the deposit was gifted, you’ll need a bank statement showing the funds in the account of the person who provided the gift (or will be providing the gift). 

Gifted deposit – if any of your deposit has been gifted, we’ll need a letter from the family member stating it is a gift to clarify that it’s not a loan and is not expected to be paid back.

As well as a bank statement from the person gifting you the money, you’ll also need to supply proof of ID from them.

Making a gift early will not remove the need to follow this process as any lump sums paid into your accounts need to be verified.

Information on your current properties

If you already own one or more properties, your lender will want to know more about them.

Property schedule – if you own multiple properties, we will be required to supply the lender with a property schedule. They will use this to evaluate the profitability of your rental properties.

Tenancy agreement – often this is just required for the subject property, but in certain circumstances lenders ask for copies of all tenancy agreements.

Rental bank statements – please provide 3 months’ bank statements for your rental account, if different from your personal account

Mortgage statements – these aren’t normally required, but if the lender is unable to match the declared details of your mortgage to your credit report, they may ask for mortgage statements from your existing lender(s).

Page contents

Relax. We've got this.

We will seek out a mortgage deal that is right for you, so you can move home minus the stress.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

Most Buy-to-Let mortgages are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Illustration of woman relaxing in hammock with pet cat and fizzy drink, reading a book
Contact us.

Contact us.

We would like to hear from you. Please send us a message by filling out the form below and we will get back to you shortly.

I have read and understand the privacy policy.